Tuesday, March 13, 2012

TV vs. Songwriting

Most people spend every evening (or every day) staring at the TV. It's one of my guilty pleasures too. I used to watch TV a couple of hours every day. But one day I started thinking about this habit: is it really worth it? 90% of what I watched were shows that I didn't like but there wasn't anything better on that night.

So I made a list of things that I could do instead of watching TV. Stuff that is more useful now and/or in the long run. Things that will help me make my life better in some way and especially make me a better songwriter. Here is the list I came up with:


Reading books. They can be about songwriting, creativity or anything that I can learn from.


Writing songs. I suppose it's easy to see the advantages of it.


Learning new vocabulary. The English language has the highest number of words among all languages. And there are so many beautiful and interesting words to know.


Learning a new language. Spending only 5 minutes a day with language learning can take you far. And speaking a foreign language is a little bit like having a brand new, improved, more open-minded and tolerant personality.


Practicing an instrument. Songwriters need to be able to play at least one instrument. There is no doubt about it. I recommend learning how to play the guitar or the piano.


Learning music theory. You can live without knowing music theory but learning it will help you a lot along the road.


Listening to music. Discover new music and new genres. It makes your songs even more unique.


Watching concert DVDs. Watching artists performs songs inspires me. I guess it might inspire you too then.


Networking. There are great songwriting forums for that. You can also use Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn for this purpose.


Working out. I don't think I have to stress its importance for your body and mind.


Most of these things are easy and fun to do. If not, you can make them easier and more fun. Just think about how much you will accomplish if you substitute some silly TV shows with some of these activities. And I'm not saying that you shouldn't watch TV at all. I'm just saying that there are several programs that are simply a waste of time. Turn on the TV only when there is a specific show you really don't want to miss. Like Dexter. Otherwise, keep it turned off.

No comments:

Post a Comment