Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How Do You Avoid Regretting Your Decisions?

Question by Bobby:

I've made some stupid quick decisions in connection with songwriting this year. I missed some great opportunities because of this. How can I prevent this from happening again in the future?


Answer:

You've probably heard the saying "I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done" (a Lucille Ball quote).

So I usually rather take opportunities because I don't want to miss anything. And I can think of several things I HAVE done and I regret doing. (Is it really a better feeling? I don't know.)

Your question was if there's something you can do to prevent this situation. I guess I've found a way. It's not revolutionary but it helps me make better, and more mature decisions.

What I usually do now is sleep on a decision. Sometimes I'm totally convinced of something being right in the heat of the moment. But next morning, when my head is clear(er), I often see things 100% differently. And so far, I've been making much better decisions in that state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment