Monday, November 21, 2011

Should I Give Up Songwriting?

Question by Van:


I love writing songs. My favorite part of every day is always when I sit down with my guitar and come up with some interesting chords then start humming along and soon finish the song. It's so fulfilling.

But I'm getting more and more discouraged these days. I've been trying to have my songs cut by artists for two years with zero success. Should I just give up now?


Answer:

Hello Van,

Most songwriters consider giving up at one point or another. Or maybe every day :) But please, don't do it!

You write songs because you love it. If you're like most songwriters, you'd do it even if nobody paid for it (which is the case sometimes anyway).

If you do something for your songwriting career every day, you'll get better at the craft, you'll have better connections and you'll get closer and closer to getting your songs cut. It's a fact of life. But nobody can predict when it will happen. It's different for all songwriters. It might be your 15th or 157th pitch that will bring you success. But if you're persistent, you'll get there!

It looks like becoming a songwriter is your dream. And you should never give up on your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment